Somalilandsun: Somaliland Guards at the Internationally funded pirate prison in Hargeisa are manhandling Saad Jirde Hayd a Norwegian citizen sentenced to death.
This was alleged by two Norwegian Lawyers Farid Bouras and John Christen Elden who while informing that the foreign ministry in Oslo has been appraised.
Immidiately upon Hayd being sentenced Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide has informed the President of Somaliland that the death penalty was unacceptable.
Below the allegations of abuse by the two lawyers
– At 15.30 today I was contacted by another inmate in the prison in Somaliland. The person in question said that Saad Jirde Hayd had today been badly abused by prison staff. The abuse happened after two Norwegian diplomats had left the prison, says Bouras in the law firm Elden.
A few hours later, Bouras received confirmation from several sources that the Norwegian citizen sentenced to death has been abused by prison guards.
This morning, the 54-year-old, who came to Norway as a political refugee in 1995, was visited by Norwegian diplomats from the embassy in Nairobi.
“ The person who reported the abuse was very concerned about Hayd’s condition,” Bouras said.
– After that, I have been in contact with the management of the partly Norwegian-funded prison in Hargeisa.
– The prison director confirmed that it had happened, but would not give details, says Farid Bouras to Dagbladet.
Dagbladet has tried in vain to get direct contact with prison director Adan Ahmed Moge in prison.
Tonight, aid lawyer Farid Bouras received confirmation from prison staff that Norwegian diplomats from the embassy in Nairobi had visited Saad Jirde Hayd this
– The diplomats are said to have brought sugar and cigarettes to Saad Jirde Hayd. The last time they visited him, he asked them to bring something to him, says Bouras.
– Other inmates must have noticed and reacted that the tone from the prison guards must have been very aggressive, even while the envoys from the embassy in Nairobi were present, Bouras says.
– When the diplomats left the prison, Saad Jirde Hayd was beaten. He was beaten to death. Then the guards took from him the cigarettes and the sugar he had received from the diplomats, aid lawyer Farid Bouras tells Dagbladet.
Thrown in dungeons
– The prison guards were allegedly angry, because Saad Jirde Hayd had spoken Norwegian with the diplomats. They are also said to have said that they were cursed, because he allegedly complained about the conditions in the prison, Bouras says.
The Norwegian citizen sentenced to death is to be taken down to the prison cellar and thrown into a dungeon after the abuse.
– He is now isolated in a hole in the prison basement. We have not received clarity in what condition he is in, says Farid Bouras.
Saad Jirde Hayd was sentenced to death in November last year for allegedly killing a man. According to the combined sharia court and the district court in Hargeisa, the evidence and the murder weapon were a spray bottle bought at Clas Ohlson in Oslo – a so-called defense spray.
Saad Jirde Hayd told Dagbladet before Christmas his version of what happened when he was accused of murder.
– I was on holiday in Somaliland. At 9 pm on April 4, 2020, I was on my way home. Without warning, I was attacked by a man. He kicked and hit, while I tried to protect myself – with the defense spray. After a short fight, we each went our separate ways. A few hours later, the police came and arrested me, the 54-year-old said.
Saad Jirde is said to have previously lent money to the man who was a permanent resident of Hargeisa, but the conflict between the two is said to have arisen when the Norwegian-Somali asked for the money back.
Appealed death sentence
– Following pressure from Saad Jirde Hayd’s Norwegian lawyers and a telephone conversation from Foreign Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide , Saad Jirde Hayd was allowed to appeal the verdict to a higher court.
Last week, the appeal case started. After two days in court, the case was adjourned. One of the reasons for the postponement is that Saad Jirde Hayd’s local lawyer was attacked and beaten . It must have been members of the family of the man the Norwegian-Somali is accused of having killed, who assaulted and abused the lawyer.
Lawyer John Christian Elden reacts strongly to the fact that prison guards have beaten and abused Saad Jirde Hayd.