Station – Hargeisa, Somaliland
Closing Date: Saturday, 08 June 2013
Somalilandsun -Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations. NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab, Kakuma and Molo), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire and Asosa) and Yemen (Sana’a).
Main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the WASH activities in Somaliland. The WASH Officer will assist the Shelter PM in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming for both sanitation and Hygiene promotion. He/she will also work closely with the other project officers and assistants in the field to ensure timely delivery of quality Sanitation and Hygiene while assisting the Project Manager in overall planning and design of (future) projects.
Knowledge of the local area of operational will be given a consideration.
CANDIDATES SHOULD APPLY ON LINE BY GOING THROUGH www.nrc.no EMAIL AND PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
‘Please note: Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will not be able to respond to or process applications that are not submitted formally through our on- line application system for vacancies (WebCruiter).’
Reference no.: 1800904311
Deadline for application: 08.06.2013
• Information management
• Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
• Help plan activities to reduce WASH-related risks.
• Work together with the M&E unit to collate data from various assessments and surveys and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
• Coordinate with the Shelter officers and carry out an integrated approach in as envisage in the shelter/WASH Somaliland strategy and ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
• Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors FSL and Education.
• To represent NRC in co-ordination meetings and other stakeholders
• Preparation of reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
• Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services specifically Latrines and Hand washing facilities.
• Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
• Undertake technical inspection of sanitary installations including latrines and pits.
• Advice on quality control of all Sanitation activities â€” travel regularly to all the NRC construction sites assessing WASH needs.
• Development of rapid response and contingency plans.
• Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
• To assist and participate in community mobilization.
• Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
• Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
• Programme Approach
• Supervise sanitation activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
• Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
• Supervise Sanitation activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
• Take account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, minority groups, children, and people with disabilities.
• Any other assignment as may be required by the Shelter Project Manager.
• College / University, Bachelor’s degree
• Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
• Possession of strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
Medicine / Healthcare / Social
Technical background in Public Health. First degree on environmental Health,
Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 3 year’s experience in a humanitarian and development programme preferably with an INGO.
Experience in undertaking sanitation in a relief programme is essential.
Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential;
Commencement: As soon as possible
Duty Station: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the different NRC offices
Number of positions: 1