Danish Deming Group (DDG) Somaliland looking for a Community Liaison Facilitator based in the field.
Danish Deming Group (DDG) is a department under Danish Refugee Council (DRC). DDG has operated in Somaliland since 1999 clearing mines and other explosive remnants of war. Recognising that Somaliland communities also suffer from other threats to human security, DDG expanded its programme into the wider sphere of community safety in 2008 in order to ensure maximum impact for the population of Somaliland. DDG’s community safety programme encompasses the following elements:
• Strengthening local institutions and enhancing local capacity for addressing safety needs
• Addressing immediate threats to life and limbs by explosive remnants of war
• Addressing small arms as a tool of violence
• Building capacity for conflict management and peace
• Strengthening relationships between security providers and communities
The programme is rooted in a participatory process, where DDG assists target communities to assess their safety and security situation, define and prioritize their safety and security needs and identify resources to address these needs.
DDG Somaliland is opening the following positions:
1 Community Liaison Facilitator based in the field
Overall objectives of position
The objective of the Community Liaison Facilitator position is to enhance target communities’ capacity for addressing their own safety needs.
Main Duties and responsibilities for Community Liaison Facilitators
• Liaise with local leaders and local and national government authorities about the safety in the communities and act as link between the local communities and DDG.
• Facilitate advocacy workshops aimed at armed violence reduction and destruction of explosive remnants of war.
• Facilitate community safety planning processes in target communities.
• Provide capacity building and training to community members and local committees to enable them to manage their community safety plan.
• Facilitate community based policing mechanisms in target communities
• Compile the required reports.
• Knowledge of local community
• Proven communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills
• University degree in social science or tertiary education in any other relevant field will be a recommendation
• Must be able to remain neutral when working with communities
• Good in English and Somali both speaking, reading and writing.
• Passion for people
• Creative thinker
• Willing and able to work anywhere in Somaliland and for long hours
• Open and willing to learn new things
• Enthusiastic and hard-working
• Basic computer skills
• Administration skills will be an advantage
• Leadership qualities
• Hold a senior/respected position in your own community.
• Proven experience in addressing groups of people.
• Proven experience in liaising with local and government authorities.
• Experience in local institutions and community capacity building.
Terms of Employment:
Duration of employment: (Four Month with possible extension subject to performance)
Method of application:
Interested candidates should send a motivated application addressing the required qualifications, including CVs, by email or by hand only to email@example.com or DDG/DRC Somaliland Office, Kodbur districts, next to Statehouse no later than: Sunday 2nd September 2012, at 4:15PM
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.