The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose ICRC exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
GENERALIST FIELD OFFICER 3
About the Job
Generalist Field Officer 3 contributes to defining, implementing and monitoring of various ICRC projects and activities in Somaliland, these includes general field work, protection, assistance, cooperation and communication in coordination with the structure’s management. He/she also represents the ICRC at Local level.
This is a national/resident position based in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors the security, political, military, economic and social developments and their impact on the population and shares oral and written analysis of the same on a timely and regular basis
- Identifies humanitarian needs resulting from the conflict or natural factors and proposes course of action
- Contributes to the analysis and to the planning of activities in consultation with specialists or generalists in his/her area of responsibility
- Highlights potential constraints, challenges or even threats related to the environment in which activities take place proposes adjustments
- Regularly reviews the security situation in his/her AoR, based on his/her own analysis, contacts with stakeholders such as authorities, elders and parties to the conflict
- Identifies, develops and maintains a network of contacts among local authorities, parties to the conflict, traditional leaders, humanitarian organisations and members of civil society
- Represents the ICRC with the aim of strengthening its acceptance, access and security, and the respect of its principles of neutrality, impartiality and independence, according to the guidelines provided
- Contributes to the networking strategy in the AoR by actively participating in the networking meetings
- Assists the protection department in monitoring of conflict or other situation of violence (OSV) related events impacting the civilian population, according to the delegation’s protection strategy
- Takes part in multidisciplinary field assessments and reports on protection concerns which may be observed, and helps the department to determine the best course of action based on context and the realities on the field
- Helps the protection team to maintain contact for administrative purposes with the relevant places of detention authorities and supports in assistance activities
- Supports the restoring family links delegate to follow-up with the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) on specific RFL issues
- Organises and carries out independent field missions in order to implement and follow up various field activities, in accordance with objectives set for the Sub Delegation
- Supports other departments in supervision of projects in the field by giving inputs on the activities planned or implemented
- Collects, compiles and translates/interprets information about the projects and contributes to written reporting
- Facilitates missions undertaken to monitor projects implemented in his/her AoR and to evaluate their outcomes and impact
- Oversees all the operational teams in his area of responsibility during field trips
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field of study
- 4 years progressive working experience in a similar position
- Experience working with Somali Red Crescent or other national society is an asset
- Demonstrated management and negotiation skills in a complex setting
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills
- Proven Leadership and team motivation skills
- Good knowledge of the political, social, economic and cultural environment of the region
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Computer proficiency especially in MS Office suite
- We Offer
A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
Training and development opportunities
A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 14th September 2020. Clearly indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to email@example.com.