Somaliland: Donor Organizations Asked to Put Their Act in Order


citizens and Dignitaries  follow proceedingsBy: Yusuf M Hasan

HARGEISA (Somalilandsun) – A number of donor activities in the country leave a lot to be desired.

The Vice president Hon Abdirahman Abdilahi Ismail Sayli said this during the opening of two days UN Agencies, INGOs and LNGOs public briefing held in a Hargeisa hotel where he wondered on the essence of some prevalent practices by the donor organizations.

“How can you justify the payment of salaries worth $20,000 while those you purportedly serving live on less than a dollar?” quipped the VP

The briefing held on the 28th and 29th was intended for the showcase of work undertaken by United Nations agencies, INGOs and local agencies working in Somaliland.

VP Sayli who also queried the never-ending workshops/seminars and assessment surveys whose result is never divulged, said funds utilized in these activities should be utilized elsewhere.

The deputy head of state who commended the organizations for their endeavours of 20 years in the country urged them to see to it that 70% of their budgets is utilized for development and humanitarian projects thus utilize the remaining 30% on internal expenditures rather than vice versa as is the norm now.

The two days event that is the first of its kind in the country was organized by the ministry of planning with substantial support from the Dahabshil Company, saw 73 international organizations and three government ministries brief the public on their various activities.

The meeting

The planning minister who also informed that the registered UN agencies and international NGOs contribute 30% of the budget said that the event would be an annual one henceforth thus keep citizens continually abridge with donor humanitarian and development activities.

During the closing ceremony, a number of the international and local agencies as well as individuals were awarded certificates in honour of their contribution to the country’s development.