Somalilandsun – NUSOJ and SOLJA are inviting journalists to submit entries for the 2013 Somali Media Awards, which sheds light on development and humanitarian issues in the country.
The award is supported by UNDP, UNFPA, OCHA and UNESCO
The Somali Media Award rewards excellence, application of principles of good journalism and relevance in reporting in media. It aims to recognize the contribution of Somali journalists in increasing awareness on development and humanitarian issues in the general public. It is awarded to Somali journalists working in Somali language with the aim of encouraging a strong, vibrant and responsible media profession for the benefit of the Somali people.
The Somali Media Award 2013will be presented on Human Rights Day, 10 December 2013, at a ceremony hosted by the National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ) and Somaliland Journalists Association (SOLJA), with the support of UNDP, UNFPA, OCHA and UNESCO.
Enter the competition:
All eligible journalists are invited to submit their stories on one of the following award categories:
• Children and youth
• Access to basic services
• Investigative journalism
Submissions must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, between 23rd October – 6th November 2013.
The winners will be announced and invited to the award ceremonies organized on Human Rights Day, 10 December 2013 in South Central, Puntland and Somaliland.
• Submissions must be in Somali language. Submissions in English are not accepted.
• The jury, which includes representatives from the UN and partner organisations, senior journalists, will select a winner in each category based on: the relevance and significance of the chosen topic; the quality and originality of the journalistic approach; the accuracy of the investigative work; the effort involved in telling the story(ies); objectivity and impartiality; balance and the potential positive impact of the story(ies). Judges will look favourably at solution-oriented pieces. Submitted works must have been aired on a radio station within Puntland or South-Central Somalia, or published in a newspaper or website in Somaliland, between 1 October 2012 and 30 September 2013.
• Only Somali journalists working in the country are eligible.
• Entries can be submitted by email to email@example.com between 23rd October – 6th November 2013
• Submissions must be in the following format:
o For Puntland or South-Central Somalia; submission of radio broadcasts: electronic copy in MP3 or other format compatible with windows media player.
o For Somaliland, submission of articles: text in Word or Pdf format AND a picture/screen print of the article as it was published.
• Each entry must be accompanied by the corresponding Submission Form filled by the journalist and the publisher. By submitting this form, the journalist and publisher agree that the Somali Media Award is allowed to reproduce and publish the submitted work for purposes related to the Somali Media Award. The Somali Media Award does not gain rights to sell any submitted work to third parties.
• If a team was involved in the writings, additional names can be added at the end of the submission form.
The winner in each category will receive a prize consisting of journalistic equipment and an honorary certificate.
The jury will provide a justification for the selection of the winner and written professional feedback on the submitted work to all finalists.