- Somaliland: Open Letter to the Government and people of the Kingdom of Sweden
- Somaliland: Briton Somali Linguist in Hargeisa
- Somaliland: In Somalia, Wire Transfers go Underground
- Somaliland: A Country Bullied out of its UN Membership
- Somaliland: Why a Delegation of Turkish Officials Visited Minnesota
- Somaliland: International Community is misleading SomalilandSomaliland: International Community is misleading Somaliland
- Somaliland:MOBILIZE YOUR PEOPLE FOR THE EVENTUALITIES SIR
- Somaliland:Somaliland/Somalia Dialogue to resume in Ankara on Sunday
- Somaliland: Canadian judge tells Muslim woman he will not hear her case until she removes her headscarf
- Somaliland: Somaliland’s Elections 4 Months Left, No Preparation So Far And The Blame Game Initiated
- Somaliland: Open Letter to the Government and people of the Kingdom of Sweden (50)
- Somaliland: Why a Delegation of Turkish Officials Visited Minnesota (11)
- Somaliland: A Country Bullied out of its UN Membership (38)
- Somaliland: Briton Somali Linguist in Hargeisa (6)
- Somaliland: In Somalia, Wire Transfers go Underground (1)
|Somalia: Woman Stoned to Death for Adultery|
|Sunday, 28 October 2012 06:58|
Stoning adulterers is not "extremist"; it is Islamic law. The caliph Umar, one of Muhammad's closest companions, even maintained that it was originally in the Qur'an:
'Umar said, "I am afraid that after a long time has passed, people may say, "We do not find the Verses of the Rajam (stoning to death) in the Holy Book," and consequently they may go astray by leaving an obligation that Allah has revealed. Lo! I confirm that the penalty of Rajam be inflicted on him who commits illegal sexual intercourse, if he is already married and the crime is proved by witnesses or pregnancy or confession." Sufyan added, "I have memorized this narration in this way." 'Umar added, "Surely Allah's Apostle carried out the penalty of Rajam, and so did we after him." (Bukhari, vol. 8, bk. 82, no. 816)
"Allah's Apostle" is, of course, Muhammad, who did indeed carry out stonings. Here is the hadith in which he challenges the rabbis about stoning, and in which there is amidst the barbarism and brutality a final act of love and compassion:
The Jews came to Allah's Apostle and told him that a man and a woman from amongst them had committed illegal sexual intercourse. Allah's Apostle said to them, "What do you find in the Torah (old Testament) about the legal punishment of Ar-Rajm (stoning)?" They replied, (But) we announce their crime and lash them." Abdullah bin Salam said, "You are telling a lie; Torah contains the order of Rajm." They brought and opened the Torah and one of them solaced his hand on the Verse of Rajm and read the verses preceding and following it. Abdullah bin Salam said to him, "Lift your hand." When he lifted his hand, the Verse of Rajm was written there. They said, "Muhammad has told the truth; the Torah has the Verse of Rajm. The Prophet then gave the order that both of them should be stoned to death. ('Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "I saw the man leaning over the woman to shelter her from the stones." (Bukhari, vol. 4, bk. 56, no. 829)
Even the monkeys practiced stoning, according to another hadith:
During the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I saw a she-monkey surrounded by a number of monkeys. They were all stoning it, because it had committed illegal sexual intercourse. I too, stoned it along with them. (Bukhari, vol. 5, bk. 58, no. 188)
Muhammad's example is, of course, normative for Islamic behavior, since "verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much" (Qur'an 33:21).
"Al-Shabaab order woman stoned to death for sex offence," by Abdulkadir Khalif in Africa Review, October 26 (thanks to Blazing Cat Fur):
A young woman was stoned to death Thursday in Somalia after being convicted of engaging in out-of-marriage sex, reports say.
Residents of Jamama town, 425km south of Mogadishu in Lower Juba region, said that militants loyal to Al-Shabaab carried out the stoning at the town's main square in late afternoon.
"Many residents were called to attend the execution of the punishment," a resident who requested anonymity for own safety told Kulmiye, an independent broadcaster in Mogadishu.
He added that Al-Shabaab officials in the town witnessed the stoning.
"The woman admitted having out-of-marriage sex," said an Islamist official who talked to the crowd after the stoning was completed.
"This type of punishments that are compatible with Sharia (Islamic laws) will be administered," said the official....
Bridging Investment Gap in Somaliland
You are not aloneWe have 391 guests online
For details visit Salaamfinancial