- Somaliland: “We Fully Support Execution of Convicted Murderers” Guurti
- Somaliland: Plans Afoot to Eliminate Use of Foreign Currencies as Legal Tender in the Country
- Somaliland: Mystery of the Missing KDF Trained Kenyan Somalis Fighting in Somalia
- Somaliland: The Islamic Microfinance, Key for Social Development
- Somaliland: Open Letter to Somaliland Media and Websites
- Somaliland: “State to Uplift Health and Educational Standards in Sool Region” Dr Haglatosie
- Somaliland: “Citizens Already Benefiting from a Chunk of the $62m SDF Kitty “ says Planning Minister
- Somaliland: EU Heads of Mission and Member States Condemn the Execution of Six Prisoners Nairobi, 15/04/2015
- Somaliland: Governor Ramah of Awdal Castigates Borame Councillors for Lackluster Performance
- Somaliland: Legislators and Government Officials in Ethiopia for Leadership Training cum AU Talks
- Somaliland: Deadly Attack on UN Staff in Somalia’s Puntland Claims 6 Lives (3)
- Somaliland: MP Hoog to Attend 9th German Africa Energy Forum (11)
- Somaliland: Plans Afoot to Eliminate Use of Foreign Currencies as Legal Tender in the Country (3)
- Somaliland: Energy Minister, Serving Above and Beyond the Call of Duty (15)
- Somaliland: Mystery of the Missing KDF Trained Kenyan Somalis Fighting in Somalia (1)
|Jewelry, Diamond, Ruby and Emerald stones from Somaliland|
|Wednesday, 17 October 2012 20:02|
By: Mo Ali (Medeshi)
London -Ahmed , a friend of mine who has just come back from Somaliland has shown me the gem stones illustrated here which he collected from a location close to Aw Barkhadle just few kilometres North East of Hargeisa , the capital of Somaliland.
The stones are raw and need finishing . Ahmed Keyse who brought the stones from Somaliland told me that there is too much activity currently going on in Somaliland that is related to the collection of minerals that are easily found on the surface in the mountainous areas of the country.
He has brought with him at least one kilogram of raw Emerald stones , a small quantity of Jewellery Diamond and Ruby stones which need polishing and finishing.
Somaliland is rich in minerals and many of these minerals are easily found close to the surface. These include Diamond and sapphire and other precious metals that are also found in small quantities in SLD. Paint is abundant in the coastal areas close to Berbera and colourful layers of paint can easily be seen on the sides of the highway that connects Berbera to Sheikh.There are other parts of the country such Sanaag that are still virgin and undiscovered with greats prospects of rich mineral findings.
Ahmed also told me about a new trade in sand and heavy rocks that he has seen during his short stay in the country. He mentioned that some merchants are currently exporting fine sand through Berbera to unknown locations , possibly China and that this export is in bulk and the merchants are using large bulk carriers for that purpose.
This is in addition to oil and gas discovered both offshore and in-land in the coastal areas as well as in Sool and Hawd.
Somaliland government has recently awarded oil and gas drilling contracts to foreign companies and the prospects are great for the production of oil and gas in the near future.
Somaliland gained independence from Somalia in 1991 but has not yet been recognized by any country although its stability is similar to most sovereign countries.
Mohamed Ali is the editor of www.medeshivalley.com
Bridging Investment Gap in Somaliland
You are not aloneWe have 418 guests online
For details visit Salaamfinancial